Sunday, October 11, 2009

Catching up

Wow, it would be nice to have more time to blog...unfortunately, three math-heavy courses this semester are not leaving me with much time to work on my own research, much less any other writing. So here's a bulleted update of a few things:
  • Earth Science Week is this week! I've got my toolkit, although lack of free time mostly means that I'll be putting up posters instead of sponsoring an event. Still, there are lots of things going on - check out the ESW Events Near You page and see what's happening in your state.
  • GSW Portland starts on Sunday (Saturday if you go to the welcome dinner). Callan has posted details for a geobloggers meetup at the Tugboat Brewing Company in downtown Portland (8 PM on Monday night). I'll be there - hope to see some of the rest of you!
  • GSA has an ad hoc committee on electronic communication (eGSA), and one of the members wants to put my name forward to be on it! I'm still awaiting details, but it looks like I may be in a position to make suggestions for how GSA can better utilize current web technology for communication. More details to come...
  • Don't forget the next Accretionary Wedge! The suggested due date for entries is the Sunday after GSA (Oct. 25th), but of course I'll add more entries as they come in. The theme this time around is Earth science outreach, so dust off those old field trip and demo photos and share some knowledge!
  • The deadline for the NSF's Graduate Research Fellowship Program is coming up fast - November 5th for the geosciences. If anyone out there is getting an application together and would like to talk to a real live Fellow (as I was introduced at an information session not too long ago), I'd be happy to answer questions about the application or the program.
That's all for now, folks. I have a few posts in the works, and hopefully I'll have some time to put them up this week. If not, I hope to see you at GSA!

No comments: